A buddy is visiting San Francisco and asked me what to do during his family trip. I often hear this question and retype a list when people visit so I figured I would post my suggestions and just send the link. Please add to your suggestions in the comments and share as you wish. When I travel, I like to travel like a local and want to offer this experience to San Francisco visitors. I’m thinking about this from the standpoint of a visitor that might want to do some local stuff. They could be single, a couple and may have kids.
Please add your suggestions in the comments, and share as you wish. Let’s allow others to enjoy their trip like a local, instead of spending days at Pier 39. You might pick up a copy of 7×7 Magazine or San Francisco Magazine upon arrival, to check out the local calendar for special events or check them out online before you depart. You might check out AirBnB for shared local lodging in San Francisco. Also, finding a taxi is San Francisco is difficult, which I find annoying. You might try an on-demand car service which is offered by a friend of mine. It’s called UberCab and it’s awesome.
- Hotel Vitale for a cocktail, lodging, food and a bit of a scene.
- Ozumo for great sushi.
- Muir Woods for a hike, educational tour and big trees
- The Ferry Building for great food, architecture and people watching
- The Ramp for sun, music (on Sunday afternoon) and beer, on the water.
- Lyon Street Steps for great views and exercise.
- PacBell to see one of the best ballparks in the country and a great game.
- The German Tourist Club for a great hike, beer and to play board games overlooking Mt. Tam
- Mt. Tam for a great hike.
- Baker Beach for a local beach with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Ocean Beach for a wide open beach at the Ocean.
- Park Chalet, across from Ocean Beach, for beer and food on the grass.
- Sam’s Anchor Cafe in Tiburon for food, beer and people watching.
- Pier 23 for food, beer and people watching on the Embarcadero.
- Any restaurant or bar in the Mission – maybe the rooftop of Medjool for a day cocktail.
- Any restaurant in Potrero Hill – maybe Chez Maman, Chez Papa, Rocketfish or Aperto. Grab a coffee at Farley’s.
- Union Street for checking out stores, restaurants, coffee shops, bars and frozen yogurt.
- Chestnut Street for checking out stores, restaurants, coffee shops, bars and a great cigar store. Grab coffee or breakfast at The Grove.
- Chrissy Field for the beach, run, walk, and great view or the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.
Enjoy your trip if you’re visiting. Add your own suggestions for fellow visitors.